Bill Brownson and Myron Phillips purchased their home, built in the mid-1890’s, in 1996. Although a renovation and mechanical updates had been done in the late 1970’s and early 1980’s, Bill and Myron retained Urban Order in 2000 to design a major renovation that included new bathrooms, a kitchen addition and the finishing of the third floor. The kitchen was overhauled and contains all custom millwork.
The original service stairway from the kitchen to the second floor has been converted to a second floor laundry area, and the cabinet and inlay at the end of the entry hall are both custom made.
They also expanded the master bedroom’s closets’ depth, and they converted double hung windows to French doors to access the balcony, where they love to sit along with their 95-pound Great Dane mix, Lucas, and watch their neighborhood.
The four bedroom, two-and-half bath home now has over 3,100 sq. ft. of living space. Despite the home’s age and many owners, nearly all woodwork is original and is believed to have never been painted. Newer woodwork has been milled and stained to match the original. Hot water radiators remain the primary heating source, although a heat pump has been added.
Smaller projects include stained glass windows, and less glamorous updates, such as insulation and a new high-efficiency boiler, have been completed. The most recent design and finishing updates, including crown molding and operationalizing a fireplace, were guided by decorator Josh Wood.
While the home lends itself to formality, Bill and Myron worked to make the home comfortable for themselves and guests, and the renovation made their home ideal for entertaining and hosting dinners.
Additional features include a pocket door, which is a highly unusual 8 x 9 ft. solid single panel. The border stained glass in the three west windows is original, while interior portions are new and designed by Franklin Art Glass.
The picture in the couple’s bedroom is from their 2014 wedding in Maine, their long-loved vacationing and respite destination.
They own the original abstract that covers land transfers from 1800 through 1980. Those land transfers began in 1888, when it was originally built on lot 144 of Dennison Park Addition and was acquired by Anne Dennison and acknowledged by city council in the spring of 1888. In December 1889, Mrs. Dennison sold the lot and the two to its east for $3,000 to James L. Pease. James Pease sold the property to Edward Blakiston. The home remained in the family through deaths and petitions to the court through 1916. Carrie and Charles Sellers transferred the property to Lena Arrick Heaton in 1916. Subsequent owners were Florence Schryver (1922 to 1952) and Harold and Dorothy Sansbury (1952 to 1966). The Sansburys sold it to Battelle Memorial Institute in 1966. Battelle transferred the property to Luvern and Lila Cunningham in 1977, who sold the property to Lloyd Horrocks in 1980. One other person owned the home from May of 1994 to October 1996, when Bill and Myron moved in, which makes them the second longest owner of the 120-year-old home.
Bill and Myron previously lived in Italian Village and enjoy having great restaurants, fun entertainment and their church nearby.